Thursday, March 6, 2014

Reeker (2005)

Alrighty, kiddos. Let's get this started with a jolly little jaunt through the desert a la Reeker.  I have to say I enjoyed this one, so let's talk more about it after the jump.















Perhaps the 52% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and the 5.2/10 score on IMDb suggests that I shouldn't like this movie as much as I do. However, film is subjective, and Reeker is one of the few horror films I've rewatched within days of the first viewing.

My hopes for this indie shindig were low, given that it seemed to be centered around a large amount of stank in the desert. The beginning of the movie dives straightaway into the scaries, showing an ill-fated family trip that ends up in some rather grisly gore.
Tasty.
But then we're thrown back into the introduction of the rather predictable characters: Some jerkass guy, innocent-looking hot girl who we just know someone is gonna bang, a blonde goober, a level-headed chick with an accent, and....well, a blind guy. Gotta say that wasn't as expected, but, of course, Jeff is the most likable of the bunch, with not-Aussie Gretchen as a close second. I spent the rest of the film waiting for the other dicks to die, and I was rewarded. But I'll get to that in a minute.

The main draws of this movie are, for me, the characters and the humor (not sure if that was intentional, but ol' trucker dude arming away into the desert made me giggle)
"RuuuuuuuUUuuUUuunnn!"
By characters, I mean Gretchen and Jack. A sweet little blind dude who's obviously into the chick, and lo and behold, that chick's boyfriend is a dick. There's your romance subplot, and I found it lovely. Cookie  (ditzy eye candy) is a little confusing, but that's okay because her purpose as a sex interest was obvious and she died off quickly. So did the rest of the dicks, who were busy dodging the inevitable weird shit that follows a breakdown at an empty motel. You may wonder why the only motel for miles around would be deserted, and so do our band of dorks. The upcoming twist actually explains this well, along with most other weird aspects of the film: bloodied drug dealer running around and chatting with imaginary people, lack of cellular service, lack of people who aren't either dying or about to die (later, RV guy).

BUT. I think I should tell a little about the titular Reeker. His design and methods are rather conflicting. He's a phasing, spectral, hooded figure, but under the hood is a gas mask, and under that is a rotted face. But he uses magically-appearing death machinery (and the power of stank) to drive people to their deaths or rip them apart. The modern/ancient imagery doesn't feel right, but oh well.



Now, the twist. THE TWIST. If you've gotten this far and didn't already watch the film (tsk, tsk), then you're about to ruin it for yourself and you're bad and you should feel bad.
This is one of those "it was all just a dream" things. More specifically, the events of the film from the group pulling over to the final crash involving Jack and Gretchen supposedly occurred during the course of a car crash. RV guy slammed into the parked car, killing three of the two and himself. The causes of death of each person, as explained by officials on the scene, all correspond in some way to the causes of death at the motel. Therefore, I assume that the events at the hotel took place in some sort of limbo that spanned only the length of the crash. So several hours within a few seconds. Magic stuff, man. In addition, a peek at the wikipedia page for the prequel suggests that Reeker is employed by the Devil as a sort of reaper. So, I think that what took place in the hotel determined the fate of each individual. Reeker, who exists within limbo, pursued each person in limbo, attempting to make them casualties during the crash. This might just be me hoping that the efforts of the survivors had any point at all, but so be it.

Overall, Reeker is a fun little supernatural slasher with a touch of gore and an air of mystery, seasoned with humor and featuring characters worth cheering for. Just don't take it too seriously.

I hope to watch the prequel, No Man's Land: The Rise of Reeker, and find out if David Payne succeeded in crafting another amusing gem.

So, possibly-imaginary readers who have seen the film, what's your opinion of it? 

2 comments:

  1. NIce review. Reeker was pretty good for what it was. I was expecting complete trash when I put it on, and ended up being pleasantly surprised. Although, I sort of thought the twist was a 'lil predictable (and I almost never pick up on twists).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it's because I have trouble paying attention to movies. However predictable, I found that it made it worth rewatching just so I could put it all together.

    ReplyDelete